Saturday, January 19, 2008

An Evening In Berkeley

There are those rare occasions that we venture out from out humble squalor and actually interact with other humans socially. It's rare, but it happens. In this instance, it was my husband's co-workers and we went to Berkeley for dinner and a lecture (not the boring kind).

Dinner was at the Pyramid Brewery. I have never been, which is funny, because I love micro-brews and there is a Pyramid Brewery in Walnut Creek as well. I worked in downtown Walnut Creek for over 5 years, and the Brewery was less than 5 minutes from my office. Not a lot of good excuses for this one.

Pyramid Brewery - The Tanks

I wonder if they give tours? I requested the tasters, and there were 5. A nice range, from malty to hoppy, light to full bodied. I liked the Hefe Weizen best. I usually lean towards the dark beers, but this just had a nice, complex palate. I'd like to go back - and I only have to go to Walnut Creek to do that!

Ok, the main point of the evening. We went to Zellerbach Hall, on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley (commonly referred to as "Cal") and enjoyed this:

Mythbusters
Visit their site at Discovery Channel.


Our view of them was this:

The Mythbusters - Jamie and Adam

It was still fun, though. We got to see some video that Discovery said was not appropriate for airing (it was about farting). I learned some new things about the show, and the guys. Jamie has a degree in Russian Studies and was a charter boat captain. Adam did not graduate from college, and worked at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic - the Holy Grail to all Star Wars and tech geeks). Their experiences were very interesting and they took a lot of questions from the audience, mostly kids.

It was a great evening. On a way home we stopped for Ben & Jerry's. That just about made it perfect.

No comments: