Monday, May 04, 2009

Weekend Adventures

We went to Boise for the weekend to attend my Sister-in-Law's wedding. As I posted on Facebook, it was a whirlwind 72 hours, 1200 mile road trip with an awesome celebration. I will post a picture of the happy couple later.

As we typically do now, Kevin drives and I knit/supervise the iPod/prepare and administer refreshments. This trip was dominated by one knitted item - my Faceted Rib Sock. I finished the first one several weeks ago and then got busy stitching. I was still on the leg of the second sock when we left home Thursday night. I worked on it on our way to Winnemucca.

Friday morning we headed out and passed through Oregon (posted speed limit 55 miles per hour in the middle of frakkin' nowhere and if you're in Nevada or Idaho, it's 70 or 65 respectively on the same damn freeway. Bastards. 2000 meandering sheep my ass.) We had rain almost the whole way, and I can say that this particular stretch of road is only slightly more interesting than I-40. In other words, other than changes to topography, this is a long stretch of ab-so-lute-ly n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

I knit on my sock.

We got to Boise, and we descended on the court house en masse. There were at least 20 people there to watch Kelli and Adam tie the knot. The judge even noted that this may have been his biggest audience. Afterwards, Kev and I went had some lunch at Goodwood BBQ with his mom and step-dad. Those were some of the best beef ribs I have had since the last time my Dad made them (in other words - forever).

We headed back over to Kelli and Adam's and made origami cranes for the BBQ reception decorations for Saturday. I discovered that paper folding is not my forte, so I strung them on fishing line. Then the ladies settled in and chatted while some of the guys were watching Iron Man. Adam was making cookies. Kevin and Larry went to see if they could find an old friend. I had the opportunity to knit on my sock.

The next day we were kind of lazy and got a late start. We had brunch at the Cracker Barrel. I haven't been to one of those in over 20 years. It was as good as I remember. I picked up small gifts for the girls at the office and 45 minutes later we were back with Sharon and Larry so they could get a bite to eat. Kevin and I had some dessert.

Headed back over to the Kelli and Adam's. We spent a lovely afternoon getting to know family and friends. The food was great! The rain held off for most of the afternoon, thankfully. We didn't stay too late, since we had to be on the road early the next morning. I'm so glad we decided to go. Spending time with family is priceless.

Sunday morning we're on the road by 6:30. The weather isn't too bad. We're in Winnemucca by 10:30 and had a bite to eat. By 3:00 pm, we're passing through Reno. We stop at Boomtown - and I'm done with the sock! Finished the toe while Kevin was pumping gas.

See...........

Facted Rib Sock

Not a great shot, but you get the idea. I've never knitted on one project while traveling through 4 states. That was kind of neat.

Anyway - road construction slowed us down and we lost about an hour. When we drove through Thursday night, we didn't see much snow on the ground. Not so by Sunday. The storm that went through dumped quite bit.

May 3, 2009 - the Sierra's

Again, not great, but I took it from the car and there's little contrast due to the clouds. But you get the point. It was strange to see all that fresh powder and no one on the slopes. The resorts closed last week or the week before.

We were back in Concord by 6:00 pm and had dinner out before heading home. What a weekend.

Here is a shot of the pair of Faceted Rib Socks by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott, from the Little Box of Socks. Yarn by Yarn Pirate in the colorway Patina.

Faceted Rib Socks

This one certainly fulfills the moniker of traveling sock!

No comments: