Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Destined for Dulaan Part 2

I was a possessed knitter last night. The deadline for 2007 for the Dulaan Project is looming, and I wanted to get some of the bulky yarn knitted up and shipped out. Over the weekend, I finished three hats, as blogged here. I was pretty happy with the result, especially since I finished three in one night. But three hats was a small donation in my eyes, so I dove into the stash (ohhh, there's a happy thought) and searched for more bulky yarn.

Here is the result of this feverish pursuit of charitable knitting:

Destined for Dulaan Part 2
Destined for Dulaan Part 3
Destined for Dulaan Part 4

The yarn is Sirdar Denim Ultra, a Mega Chunky yarn that on 10.5US needles knits up at 2.5 stitches per inch. Using the Yarn Harlot hat recipes, I cast on 48 or 56 stitches and started the decreasing after 6" of stockinette. And, yes, I knit 5 hats last night. F-I-V-E!!!!!!!

Now I have 8 hats to send next week, but I have time for more.

While I was on a telephone interview this morning, I cast on for hat No. 9. I know there is some more bulky weight in the stash, so I'm diving in this afternoon to retrieve it. I think I want to complete a total of 12 hats. That is a respectable number.

My charity basket is overflowing. By the end of this month, I plan to ship the Chemo hats I completed some months ago, drop off the snuggle blankets to ARF, and send out the squares for Warm Up America. I wanted to finish some hats and socks for Afghans for Afghans, so I should get started on those soon.

There are two things that have made this so worthwhile for me - first is the satisfaction that I hopefully can give some comfort to another soul and second is yarn is leaving the house. That's what keeps me going, especially the yarn leaving the house part. De-stashing is very energizing, especially when it's for a good cause.

No comments: