Sunday, January 06, 2008

Busy Weekend

Our City government has been causing me problems. I have a car that isn't running. It's registered with the State, is in good shape and sits in my driveway. Not good enough. Since the tags are expired, it can't be in public view. It has to go.

They suggested I place it in the garage. We don't have one. They suggested that I put it in the backyard. That would mean dismantling the fence, removing a tree and a planter box. Not a viable option - since they gave me 10 days, which included the New Year's holiday. We're putting it in storage.

We've had a storage unit for a few years. We have collectibles and such (read: comic books, books and action figures) that were taking up a lot of room and collecting dust. Since we don't have a garage, we got a unit. I haven't been happy with the company for sometime now. 3 rent increases in one year is stupid, especially since none of the services or amenities have changed. So we're moving our stuff from one place to another and sorting through everything. Goodwill has benefited greatly since we are divesting ourselves of clothes and household goods that we know we have little hope of using in the future. We have also given away electronics and linens, because, quite honestly, we were quite overdue when it comes to a good purge.

I need to move the car at the end of this week. Once it's in the space, moving boxes and tubs around will be challenge, but we're also paying for two units right now. Yesterday we were lucky that while we were loading and unloading, the rain stopped. We had lost power at home several times and Internet access had been spotty. It was a good day to get some stuff done.

So, we're a little over half way finished with the move.

I'm also trying to get the house back in order after the holidays. I have a bunch of stuff I need to load onto eBay and I need to finish inputting 2007 into Quicken so I can get the taxes started. I wish I didn't need sleep.

Since I couldn't post yesterday, this will have to serve for both days this weekend. I leave you with a peaceful picture from one of our trips last year.

St. George Light

Off in the distance is the St. George Reef Lighthouse as seen from the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent City. The lighthouse is 6 miles off the coast from Crescent City. Luckily for me, it was a very clear, windy day.

No comments: