Monday, April 07, 2008

Memorable Moments

I had some trouble coming up with an item for today, but it seemed simple enough after I listened to my iPod this afternoon while at work. Concerts. I like going to them. Many of my memories have specific songs associated with them, and concerts have played a substantial role in reinforcing some of those memories.

The first concert I ever went to was the Vienna Boys Choir. My Dad thought it would be a good experience for me, as I was learning the violin at that point. In retrospect, it was probably a very good concert, but my stint as a violinist lasted about 6 months and watching a bunch of boys sing was pretty boring. At 11, it's hard to keep interested in anything that keeps one in an uncomfortable seat for over an hour.

The first concert I went to that was of my choosing was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Even better, it was the Born in the USA tour, and as a "first concert" experience, there is none better. I saw him twice that tour, first in Los Angles and then in Sweden. We (as in Mom, Dad and I) moved to Norway for a while. I was 19 and felt bereft of country and identity. Oddly enough, that album, that tour, the force that is Springsteen, brought me to a new realization, a different level of self awareness. In truth, an acceptance of who I was. It took me a couple more years to flesh out that new me, but it was the beginning of understanding that I was an American with a long and full Nordic heritage, and that was something to be proud of.

I've seen Springsteen 4 more times since then. He's still my favorite, but U2 and Rush are tied for 2nd place. I've also seen BB King and Ray Charles, both wonderful and enriching experiences. I wish I could have seen Tina Turner before she retired. Cher was amazing - especially all the costume changes. I was close enough to Guns'n Roses to recoil from Slash's ash and sweat spray. Bon Jovi rocked it pretty well. I would love to see Prince again. Iron Maiden was totally awesome, a head bangers ball if there ever was one. I love Stevie Nicks, and I've seen her twice. Others like Aerosmith, Motley Crue and Judas Priest were all good, but not necessarily leaving me clamoring for more. I was amazed how much I have enjoyed artists such as Weird Al, Meatloaf and Cyndi Lauper. I would pay to see them again, and as far as Weird Al in concerned, have repeatedly done so.

There are many that I would like to see, those that are on the "gotta see before they die" list.
Hey, I'm not getting any younger either! I have regrets for those I didn't get to see, like Freddie Mercury with Queen or Steve Perry with Journey. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. At least I still have their music to listen to.

No comments: