Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Yarn Review - Interlacements

I thought I would try something different. A yarn review seemed like fun.

I have had the opportunity to try 3 different yarns from Interlacements - the colors are gorgeous! I have made socks with Tiny Toes a 100% Superwash Merino, a stole with Arizona a nylon ribbon and the Einstein Coat with a chunky chenille/rayon/cotton blend called Santa Barbara.

The nylon ribbon was very cool. I loved the colors and thought that I had accomplished the look I was going for. It was easy to work with and handled better than expected.
Arizona Stole
I used a honeycomb stitch to open up the space. This would have made a very dense fabric, if completed in stockinette or something similar. It was colorfast and left no dye on my hands.


Heelless Sleeping Socks
Heelless Sleeping Socks - great pattern - quick knit - truly comfortable sock. It pills like crazy and every time I wash them, they bleed. The amount of dye that came off on my hands was amazing. I was very disappointed with the fuzziness after washing. I use these as sleeping socks - not too much walking around and no slippers and shoes are worn. Pretty much, I put them on right before I go to bed. Personally, I wouldn't trust this for a daily wear sock. Again - the color was wonderful! Now I'm concerned that it will fade more and more. Yes, I did set them with vinegar.

The picture of the final item will have to wait for later this week, but it is the Einstein Coat from The Knitting Experience: Book One: The Knit Stitch. Lord, it took me for-ev-er to get this one done. It's heavy, it leaves dye residue on my hands and because of the cotton or chenille it generates sneeze inducing fuzz gnats. It smells funny too. I like the colors, but it is a very bulky coat. Of course, I finish it just as it gets to be too warm to wear it. The dye stained my hands and nails. A regular hand washing didn't help, even with a strong soap.

As I mentioned, I like the colors. I also like the texture of the fabrics these yarns create. The bleeding dyes are an issue, and will probably give me second thoughts in the future when considering a purchase.

If you have used Interlacements, I would love to know if you have encountered the same issue, or is it just me?

1 comment:

Fluffy said...

I used the sock yarn to make gloves. They were nice woarm gloves, but they did bleed every time I washed them. When I replaced a worn out thumb, I was surprised at how much the washed gloves had feded. The new thumb looked pretty odd.